With the holidays approaching I’d like to share with you something I’ve been doing for a few years now. When a recipe calls for milk, it’s usually quite a bit… a cup… maybe 2. With that, our family needs to buy a gallon of milk sooner. So rather than using 2 cups of milk in a recipe I keep powdered milk in the house. The large box of powdered milk at the grocery store is $7-$8. This will last a good 2-3 months. One recipe that comes to mind that uses a lot of milk is pudding. I also make homemade pancakes that requires milk (I’ll give you that awesome recipe in a day or two).
Another great use for the powdered milk is as a substitute for evaporated milk. Recently I was ready to make pumpkin pie then realized the only evaporated milk that I had in the house expired a YEAR ago. I looked up a substitute and all I needed was 1 Cup of Dried Powdered Milk and 1 1/4 cups of water. That will give you 12 oz of evaporated milk. The recipe I am currently using for Pumpkin pie requires 18 oz (that’s 1 and a half cans from the store).
Do you use powdered milk in recipes? What recipes do you use it in?
Checkered Chef Cooling Rack
Measures 16 5/8″ by 11 1/2″
Checkered Chef Cooling Rack Fits Half Sheet Cookie Pan
is made of stainless steel. Oven and dishwasher safe!
- Easily fits in the cabinet with my other pots and pans without being oversized and sticking out of the cabinet.
- It easily fits a tray of cookies while not taking up too much space.
- The cross hatching design keeps cookies from falling through like what happens with so many other cookie sheets.
- Slick Color
- It’s even OVEN SAFE so I’m going to try cooking a meatloaf on it. I don’t know about you but my meatloaf is always swimming in grease when it’s done. I’ll put this on top of a cookie sheet and place the meatloaf on top of the cooling/cooking rack and the loaf won’t be submerged in grease.
- Easy to clean by hand or possibly in the dishwasher.
- They are nice to use to put frosting on cookies or other confectioners. Excess liquid can flow through the wire rack rather than the item swimming in the liquid. This helps with presentation of your item?
- Comes in professional packaging if you are interested in giving this as a gift.
- If you do a lot of baking with Christmas cookies you may want to pick up a couple of these as it really only holds 1 sheet of cookies comfortably. Maybe a sheet and a half.
- You can’t stack the sheets on top of one another like some other cooling racks but there is a tradeoff. If you want a rack that stacks all of those I’ve seen are rather small and do not have a cross hatch design so my cookies have fallen through those types.Overall I am very happy with this cooling rack! I will continue to use it and will invest in a another one or two for the holidays and to bake on for increased efficiency.
Do you use a cooling rack when you’re baking?
I am so glad I purchased these resistance bands! They are very well made! I can use them to help enhance my work out. I can already feel the difference the resistance band is making in my work out!
Love love love! My husband’s legs and I thank you for such a great tool! I love that the electronic pedicure and callus remover came with an extra roller! I bet I’ll need it. lol My daughter is having a “spa sleepover” this coming weekend so she can use this. Not sure the girls will need it much but I think the idea of using it will make the evening seem that much more special. Super powerful motor that makes it easy to use with little effort and little time.
This julienne peeler vegetable peeler is a great tool!
- Nice and sharp so it easily gets the job done.
- Love the stainless steel design!
- Excellent, sturdy quality
- The set goes well with my other kitchen tools.
- The little brush that it comes with makes cleaning it much easier. This way I won’t destroy sponges trying to get it clean IF I clean it by hand.
- I can throw it in the dishwasher and it gets clean as a whistle.
- This makes a great gift because it comes in a nice box.
- While I do like the sharpness I am afraid I will cut myself if I’m not careful. I feel safer with a traditional peeler, but this one is so much easier to use. I think I feel safer with the traditional because the blade thickness makes it seem like it would cut deeper.
- I won’t be allowing my kids to use the tool once they are old enough to peel. They will use the traditional peeler.
Overall I am pleased with the peeler’s performance and although I fear being cut I still reach for this peeler before my traditional one because it does such a great job peeling.
This meat thermometer works great!
- The tip is more narrow on this thermometer which is nice because I don’t like the large hole that is normally made by the average meat thermometer.
- Size is great. Not too tall.
- It’s also great that the tip is sharp. This allows me to very easily pierce whatever meat I choose to make.
- I love the protective cover. My other meat thermometer needs to be washed after I use it and again before I use it again because it’s been unprotected in the drawer where dust can collect.
- The protective cover screws on so it won’t fall off easily.
- The thermometer is very easy to read. I always feel like I’m giving an estimate when I’m reading the thermometers with the read line. This is so much more simple!
- You can also use this as a candy thermometer.
- I really don’t have any cons.
I am very pleased with my decision to upgrade to a digital thermometer. Especially THIS digital thermometer. It’s working out great!